It feels as if I was writing about my 16 favourite features from 2016 only yesterday, and now it is time to look back at 2017. Although, I have to admit, that 2017 was not the most productive year website wise, there were still a lot of posts I loved putting together.
Once again, these are the articles I loved writing the most, I will also put together a round up of the features that got the most views which will be interesting to see.
- Makeup Trend: Eye Gloss (here). Probably my favourite feature of 2017.
2. Exclusive Interview with Ellis Faas, Make-Up Artist (here).I feel so privileged to be able to talk with talented and creative people from the industry.
3. My Birthday Wish List (here). I do have most of the items from the list now. Being obsessed with the lists, it helped me to see on what items I actually needed/wanted. Should probably post one for this year as well.
4. Another interview. This time with Adina from A England Nail Polish Brand (here). She is such a cool lady and her cat is just the cutest.
5. Daniel Sandler Watercolour Customisable Colour Set For Cheeks Review and Swatches (here).I love Daniel’s blushers and it was a pleasure writing about this set, besides, it is simply gorgeous.
6. I always try to write monthly beauty favourites, and in 2017 loved the
I used to be very anti-VDay when I was younger with all my nonconformism and all, but now I am more tolerant, and by that I mean that I would not necessarily do all the “traditional” things that you should do but I would not say no to a nice gesture. While I do think that you do not need a specific day to show love to your partner, I do not see why you can’t get a little (or a luxury) something for your loved one?
And this feature is not an ode to consumerism, I do not want to promote getting things for the sake of it. It took me a while to make the list. All of the products I am listing are the things that I personally really love, and would recommend. I’ve picked 14 products, very symbolic.
But before we get to that part I want to be selfish, and list the three (I kind of count eye liners as one) products that I personally would love to get.
Are you reading, husband, ahem?
Personal Wish List
- LE LABO Rose 31 – Eau De Parfum (from Cult Beauty, Net a Porter, Nordstrom, Selfridges,Harrods,Saks Liberty London).This is the scent I wore for my wedding day ( I had a little sample), and would love a bottle now. Please, and thank you. And I just think that fragrance is the best gift (as long as you know which one to get).
- SARAH CHAPMAN Skin Insurance SPF 30 (£49 from Cult Beauty and Net a Porter). I am not a big foundation wearer, so I usually wear some slightly tinted glowing primer and an SPF, so this product sounds like a dream. It is a slightly tinted and radiance enhancing SPF cream. And this being Skinesis, I’d expect exceptional quality.
- While I do not need a new eye liner now [I have a rule now where I do not get new products before I run out of at least one], but I have Pat McGrath Labs
Perma Precision Liquid Eyeliner (£26) and CHARLOTTE TILBURY The Feline Flick (£22) waiting for their turn.
- Dior Nail polish in Pandore (review). This is my red nail varnish of choice, gorgeous vibrant fiery red. And the Dior formula is insane, opaque, glossy and long lasting. Thumbs up!
- Red lipstick. There are so many to choose from, I would suggest one which comes in red packaging, too. So hot. I have a Chanel one, and I can’t get enough of it.
The Indie/Niche Heroes
I am always happy to support brands that are
When I’ve realized that I never did a proper feature about Ellis Faas Creamy Lips L101 Ellis Red, I knew that I had to change the situation as soon, as possible.
This is such a great product and I don’t understand how could I miss the post about it. Not only it comes in an innovative and eye-catching signature Ellis Faas design but the product inside is fantastic.
The formula is really lovely, it’s non-drying, feels comfortable on the lips, applies like a dream and stays on for a long time. The finish it spot-on, too. It is not matte but not overly glossy or shiny, you get a beautiful satin finish. The colour payoff is excellent and you get a nice shade even with
I think Ellis Faas is one of the best makeup brands, and it is definitely in my top 5. And Ellis herself is definitely one of my favourite make-up artists, her creativity knows no boundaries, the images she creates are mind-blowing.
1. Can you please tell us something about yourself? How did you discover your love for beauty and makeup?
Initially I wanted to be a photographer, so when I was still in high-school, I did a professional makeup course. A lot of the time I was my own model, and in order to look different each time, I used makeup. I had always liked makeup, so when the photography became to technical, my love for makeup took over. So then I did a makeup course in Amsterdam and a “real” study in Paris.
2. What was your career breakthrough and highlights?
My big international break came when Mario Testino came to Amsterdam to do a shoot for l’Uomo Vogue. He wanted something extra, saw all the books and seeing my special effects portfolio, he picked me. We hit it off and then he started to take me all over the world. There are many highlights, so many great photographers, stylists, models, hair stylists – impossible to choose… But especially all “firsts” made an impression: my first show (Fendi with Karl Lagerfeld), my first big campaign (Gucci with Mario), my first shoot for Vogue Italia (with Paolo Roversi).
3. What advice would you give to those who want to be a part of a beauty/makeup industry? What are the basics they should know?
The biggest thing is that there is no mystery. People in the
To be honest, with so many new makeup releases, sometime it is hard to get excited about a new product but everything I have included in this post has that wow-effect. Let’s take a look!
Ellis Faas is one of the coolest brands out there, the formulas of their products are phenomenal, so are the textures and the colours. This is why I am excited to share that the brand just released three new shades of their incredible Lights. I have actually reviewed the Lights (here)…
The new colours are: E306 in Beige, E307 in Chocolate Brown and
E308 in Dark Metal.
BECCA brought out a palette with their 5 best-selling shades of