I used to be very anti-VDay when I was younger with all my nonconformism and all, but now I am more tolerant, and by that I mean that I would not necessarily do all the “traditional” things that you should do but I would not say no to a nice gesture. While I do think that you do not need a specific day to show love to your partner, I do not see why you can’t get a little (or a luxury; like moon magic) something for your loved one?
And this feature is not an ode to consumerism, I do not want to promote getting things for the sake of it. It took me a while to make the list. All of the products I am listing are the things that I personally really love, and would recommend. I’ve picked 14 products, very symbolic.
But before we get to that part I want to be selfish, and list the three (I kind of count eye liners as one) products that I personally would love to get.
Are you reading, husband, ahem?
Personal Wish List
- LE LABO Rose 31 – Eau De Parfum (from Cult Beauty, Net a Porter, Nordstrom, Selfridges,Harrods,Saks Liberty London).This is the scent I wore for my wedding day ( I had a little sample), and would love a bottle now. Please, and thank you. And I just think that fragrance is the best gift (as long as you know which one to get).
- SARAH CHAPMAN Skin Insurance SPF 30 (£49 from Cult Beauty and Net a Porter). I am not a big foundation wearer, so I usually wear some slightly tinted glowing primer and an SPF, so this product sounds like a dream. It is a slightly tinted and radiance enhancing SPF cream. And this being Skinesis, I’d expect exceptional quality.
- While I do not need a new eye liner now [I have a rule now where I do not get new products before I run out of at least one], but I have Pat McGrath Labs
Perma Precision Liquid Eyeliner (£26) and CHARLOTTE TILBURY The Feline Flick (£22) waiting for their turn.
- Dior Nail polish in Pandore (review). This is my red nail varnish of choice, gorgeous vibrant fiery red. And the Dior formula is insane, opaque, glossy and long lasting. Thumbs up!
- Red lipstick. There are so many to choose from, I would suggest one which comes in red packaging, too. So hot. I have a Chanel one, and I can’t get enough of it.
The Indie/Niche Heroes
I am always happy to support brands that are
I am currently away for two weeks, finally not for work, I can spend time with my family & friends and relax. I did not want to take a lot of makeup with me (mostly because I have too many other things), and since a lot of you are always asking what products I take with me (and I love similar posts myself), I thought I’d show you.
So here are very few products that I’ve packed for my personal use:
I don’t like taking full bottles of perfumes, so I have
When I’ve realized that I never did a proper feature about Ellis Faas Creamy Lips L101 Ellis Red, I knew that I had to change the situation as soon, as possible.
This is such a great product and I don’t understand how could I miss the post about it. Not only it comes in an innovative and eye-catching signature Ellis Faas design but the product inside is fantastic.
The formula is really lovely, it’s non-drying, feels comfortable on the lips, applies like a dream and stays on for a long time. The finish it spot-on, too. It is not matte but not overly glossy or shiny, you get a beautiful satin finish. The colour payoff is excellent and you get a nice shade even with
To finish our Lipstick Week I’ve decided to feature my current top 3 lipsticks and share the top 3 that are on my wish list.
I’ve made myself choose lipsticks in different colour families, so here are: plum, red and pink. I don’t like orange, nude or any other shades that much.
Since I have already reviewed each lipstick, I have just included the links. I also have to mention that Clarins was recently reformulated, and the new version is even better!
Clarins Joli Rouge Lipstick in 738 Royal Plum (Review and Lip Swatches)
Givenchy Le Rouge Lipstick in 302 Hibiscus Exclusif (Review and Lip Swatches)
Lancome L’Absolu Rouge in 160 Rouge Hypnose (Review and Lip Swatches)
Honourable mentions go to
I think Ellis Faas is one of the best makeup brands, and it is definitely in my top 5. And Ellis herself is definitely one of my favourite make-up artists, her creativity knows no boundaries, the images she creates are mind-blowing.
1. Can you please tell us something about yourself? How did you discover your love for beauty and makeup?
Initially I wanted to be a photographer, so when I was still in high-school, I did a professional makeup course. A lot of the time I was my own model, and in order to look different each time, I used makeup. I had always liked makeup, so when the photography became to technical, my love for makeup took over. So then I did a makeup course in Amsterdam and a “real” study in Paris.
2. What was your career breakthrough and highlights?
My big international break came when Mario Testino came to Amsterdam to do a shoot for l’Uomo Vogue. He wanted something extra, saw all the books and seeing my special effects portfolio, he picked me. We hit it off and then he started to take me all over the world. There are many highlights, so many great photographers, stylists, models, hair stylists – impossible to choose… But especially all “firsts” made an impression: my first show (Fendi with Karl Lagerfeld), my first big campaign (Gucci with Mario), my first shoot for Vogue Italia (with Paolo Roversi).
3. What advice would you give to those who want to be a part of a beauty/makeup industry? What are the basics they should know?
The biggest thing is that there is no mystery. People in the